We're sorry to hear this. First we apologize for giving you that impression, but we work hard so our users can learn in the easiest way possible. With the details you're giving us we can't visualize what's the problem exactly, but in order to do the practice the same way our tutor does you just have to:
1. Contour the shape (Ctrl + Shift + O)
2. Ungroup the letters (Ctrl + Shift + G)
3. Copy the letters (Ctrl + C)
4. Paste them in the same position (Ctrl + F)
5. Erase partially with the Eraser (E) tool. If you want to do as our tutor does, erase it creating perfect rectangles, you'd have to press Alt + click and drag while using the Eraser tool.
All these keyboard shortcuts are logged in on-screen while the tutor explains it.
We hope this clears your doubt and again receive our apologies from the Tutpad team.